
Peppermint Sticks
As a young child, I spent a lot of time with my grandmother. It has been over 11 years since I have seen her, yet the memories of her are still so strong.
She used to live in a trailer behind our house, and I remember packing my special suitcase she gave me (it was black and pink - and is still in my father's attic ;) and walking down there to spend the night with her. My favorite memory is sitting with her at the table, sharing old fashioned peppermint sticks, and sneaking sips of her coffee behind my mother's back. She used to use domino's sugar cubes to sweeten her coffee, and I would always eat those as well. Oh the things grandmas let their grandchildren get away with, LOL!
Right now, my "Nanny" is in the hospital and is not doing well. It's been a bit hard for me to process, since it's been so long since I've seen her. I found myself buying some sugar cubes just to remind myself of the fun times we shared. It made her smile to know that.
While dyeing this yarn, I thought of the many times we shared together. I also bought some peppermint sticks and tried my hardest to remember exactly what it used to feel like to be with her. She had a beautiful smile and a hearty laugh. I miss her so....

<< Home