Dyeing To Fly

Thursday, May 03, 2007




Giant Panda

As a child my favorite animal was the Giant Panda. There was just something so special about them. Their cute, innocent eyes, fluffy fur, and well, they just look so darn cuddly ;)

Let's see...how should I portray how much I loved them? ... At one point my entire room was decorated in panda bears...I even had stuffed ones hanging from my ceiling, LOL! ;) I used to write short stories about adopting one from China as my very special pet. (oh boy, where is the embarrassed smiley when I need it?

I remember going to the zoo with my father on a field trip, and he bought me three figurines from the gift shop. There are few things that he has bought me that had the same effect. I hope I never forget how special and loved I felt at that moment.

For Christmas one year (I believe I was in fifth grade) my parents bought me a HUGE stuffed panda bear. I was so excited. It became my beloved pillow, lovey, whatever you want to call it, heehee! I'm sure my parents regretted buying it more than once...like the time we went on a 20 hour road trip in our small car and I insisted it come with us ;)

I kept Mr. Panda for many years after I got married. Just a simple glance at it in the corner would remind me of so many events. There were tear stains all over the poor thing, and yet it looked perfect to me.

I know I probably sound like a babbling nutcase ;) but this was the only item I was ever "attached" to. There was nothing else from my childhood that meant much to me. I eventually parted with this dear item. I have wished many, many times that I had held onto it, mostly to pass onto my daughter or to at least show her.

This colorway was fun for me. It was good to remember many events that I had pushed out of my memory for far too long. Thanks for reading me silly ramblings.